Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Baldacci's Idea Train

David Baldacci, best-selling author of such books as The Christmas Train, Wish You Well and The Camel Club is full of ideas -- and yet he can't slow his idea train down. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Baldacci at the National Book Festival.

Busy at his craft, Baldacci has a lot of books in print: 40 million copies in 37 languages and 80 countries. Where does he come up with all of the ideas?

"As a writer, you can never turn off your passion for the written word and love of a great story. So I watch life, listen intently, and basically drive everyone around me a bit crazy as I absorb every environment in which I find myself. And believe me, being naturally curious uncovers many possible storylines. Writers have to see the world exactly as it is, and then go a step further and realize the potential of what could be there."

Among the authors Baldacci admires are Flannery O'Connor, Harper Lee, Walker Percy, Truman Capote, Anne Tyler, Mark Twain, and John Irving.

Up next: John Irving on Charles Dickens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home