Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sochi in the Sun


The most expensive Olympics in history are well underway in Sochi, Russia. And it’s warm enough that Sochi could host the Summer Olympics as well!

About 24 hours north of Sochi is a place I’ve called “second home” from time to time: Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia. The third-largest city in central Russia, it’s the city where I went to college, met my wife, and became intimately introduced to Russian culture. Saint Petersburg is easily the most impressive and beautiful city in Russia, Moscow is easily it’s power-center, but Nizhniy Novgorod will always feel like Russia to me.

Since my first visit to Nizhniy Novgorod 20 years ago this month, I’ve returned about half a dozen times. There’s something special about Russia in the Winter with the picture-postcard scenery all tickled by snow. But it was my summertime visit to Russia about ten years ago that prompted me to write a travel story.

“Vodka in the Sun” was originally published in a British travel magazine, Travel Insights, which is no longer published. However, it was reprinted in serial format In Coloquio.

Join me for some vodka in the sun as we visit Nizhniy Novgorod, Saint Petersburg, Moscow, and a river cruise to such islands as Svirstroi, Kizhi, and Valaam. The adventure starts at the link below.

http://coloquio.com/coloquioonline/2003/0308eric.htm

 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home